Sometimes, when you try to switch to the multi-user mode in QuickBooks, you can encounter H202 or H505 error. Such an error can occur due to multiple reasons. This post discussed the possible reasons behind such errors and the effective solutions to fix them.
You will also learn about an alternative QuickBooks recovery software to resolve the error when nothing works quickly.
Causes of QuickBooks Errors H202 and H505
The errors H202 and H505 usually occur when there are configuration issues in the company file connected to the multi-user environment. These errors may also arise due to one or more of the following reasons:
- Connection error between QuickBooks and Server
- Damaged Network Data (.ND) file
- Network connection issues
- QuickBooks is not updated
- Incorrect Firewall configuration settings
- Hosting Settings error
- Company file is corrupted or damaged
- QuickBooks services are stopped
Methods to Resolve the QuickBooks Errors H202 and H505
Make sure you have installed the latest version of QuickBooks or the version is installed with the latest updates and your company file is located at the correct location. Once you verify these, then try the methods mentioned below.
Method 1: Restart the QuickBooks Services
There are some important QuickBooks services (QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor) that are necessary for the QuickBooks to run in a multi-user environment. If these services fail to work, then you can get the error H202 or H505. To check and fix the issue, restart these services. Follow these steps:
- Open the Run window on your server system.
- Write services.msc and then click OK.
- In the Services window, search for QBCFMonitor Service in the list and double-click on it.
- In Service Properties window, click on the dropdown to select the Automatic option.
- If the status is showing as stopped, click Start and then OK.
- If you’re not able to start the service, then select the Recovery button and then click Restart the service.
- Select Apply and then click OK.
Now, repeat the above procedure to restart the QuickBooksDBXX service.
Method 2: Check Windows Host File
The error H202 can also occur if the server is not in the Windows Host file. To fix this, you can check the host file. Here are the steps:
Note: Make sure you have admin rights.
- On the server system, open the Run window.
- In the Run window, type cmd and then press Enter.
- Write the command “ipconfig /all” and then press Enter.
- Remember or note down all the network information, such as the hostname and IP address.
- Now, repeat the above steps on all the workstations.
- Next, edit the Windows host file using the below steps:
- Close your QuickBooks application.
- Go to the Windows Start option in the server system.
- Type the path C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc and then press the Enter key.
- Double-click on the hosts file and then click Notepad.
- In Notepad, type the IP address followed by the system name. Make sure the workstations have the server’s IP address and computer name and the server computer has the workstations’ IP and computer name.
- After updating the host file, click on the File option and then Save.
- Write the file name as “hosts”, click Desktop, and then click Save.
- Search the newly saved file, right-click on it, and then click Copy.
- Again locate the path C:\Windows\Syswow64\Drivers\Etc, right-click on the hosts file, and then click Rename (Rename the hosts file to hosts old). Click Continue.
- Press Ctrl+V and then click Continue.
Method 3: Check Your QuickBooks Hosting Settings
You can get the error H202 or H505 if there is an issue with the Hosting Settings on server system or workstations. The “Hosting Multi-User Access” option should be disabled on all the workstations and enabled only on the server system (which is hosting the company file). To check and change the Hosting Settings, follow these steps:
- First, open the QuickBooks on one of the workstations.
- Now, without opening the QBW file, click on File > Utilities.
- Select Stop Hosting Multi-User Access.
- Repeat the above instructions on all the workstations where you are getting the error.
If you are still getting the error, then check the Hosting Settings on the server system. To do so, follow the below-cited instructions:
- Open QuickBooks on the server.
- Go to File and then select Utilities.
- Click on the Host Multi-User Access option.
Method 4: Run QuickBooks Tool Hub
The H series errors, such as H202, may also occur if the company file is corrupted. In this case, you can try the QuickBooks File Doctor tool to fix the issue. To use this tool, follow these steps:
- Close the QuickBooks application.
- Download and install the latest version of QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- Click Company File issues and then click QuickBooks File Doctor.
- In the QuickBooks File Doctor window, click on the dropdown and choose the company file.
- Click on the Check your file option and click Continue.
- A window is displayed asking you to fill the QuickBooks admin credentials.
- Fill the required fields and then click on the Next option.
- Then, check if the error is fixed or not.
If none of the methods mentioned above works for you, use a professional QuickBooks repair tool, such as Stellar Repair for QuickBooks. The tool can repair severely corrupted QuickBooks company files without modifying the data.
In addition, a free demo version of the software is available that can help you preview the recoverable data in the QBW file. Download the tool and repair the company file in a few simple steps.
Above, we have compiled some tried and tested methods to fix the QuickBooks errors H202 and H505. If the error has occurred due to the presence of corruption in QuickBooks company file, then try repairing the file with the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
Alternatively, you can use an advanced and trustable tool, such as Stellar Repair for QuickBooks that can help fix the errors that occurred due to corruption, including the H series and 6000 series errors.
- Sent as SMS via Server | What does it mean?
- How to Create New Layer From Selection in Gimp
- Top 5 SVG File Viewers for Your Android Mobiles
- Amazon Checkout Not Working | Learn How to Fix it?
- What is Implicit & Explicit Constraints in Backtracking?